Saturday, December 17, 2005

Cheese and a pint of bitter

The final Download of the year is devoted to cheesy Christmas music, which I am only slightly embarassed about having written.

The NS actually printed a brief music review of the year in their Xmas edition, which since it was written (a) by someone other than me, and (b) by someone who I have never heard of and never known to have written music stuff ever before, I am slightly bitter about (can you tell? ;-)).

Lynsey Hanley (for it is she, whoever she is), selects four albums as the highlights of the year, which is silly to begin with - who chooses a Top Four? - and they are:

Sufjan Stevens' 'Illinoise', Franz Ferdinand's 'You Could Have It So Much Better', The Arcade Fire's 'Funeral', and Beck's 'Guerero'.

So I'm just like "shit, did you work that out all by yourself, or did you just copy it from the Q/Guardian/NME acceptably-though-non-threateningly-intelligent-and-just-left-of-centre-enough-to-reassure-you-you're-still-cool-though-still-you-haven't-managed-to-look-beyond-white-boy-indie-rock list?".

Also, I mean, Beck? Haha! Fuck off!

4 Comments:

Blogger Alex Bok Bok said...

right on.

good line, by the way, about the true spirit of christmas!

6:31 PM  
Blogger John said...

How the hell did she miss out Hard Fi?

12:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jesus - Beck? Why?

If anything he is worse since he went 'serious' after his break-up album. And just ask the Bluetones where your career is going when you start to make whimsically inappropriate hispanic music.

But Beck was awful to begin with. I never understood why what was basically a novelty act got so big. His lyrics are not even surreal, they are just nonsense:

"I got a car drop, pony snow, blue dangle chese mask - snip snap country cabin, metal peanut bomb shelf" etc etc

12:13 PM  
Blogger dan hancox said...

"I got a car drop, pony snow, blue dangle chese mask - snip snap country cabin, metal peanut bomb shelf"

LOL!!

you are Beck and I claim my £5

12:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home